You're reading...
Editing, Publishing, Websites

Crimes against content

Having signed off on countless web pages & prepared many files for printing I’ve come to recognise it’s often the same problems being picked up over & over again.

Why? Awareness. The people creating the content are often not specialists in content creation or management. Let’s have a look at what some of these problems are & how easy they are to avoid:

Grammatical issues

Often writers have personal blind-spots in their writing style. A good editor can usually pick these out & run global checks to fix them. For example, you might always use ‘try and …’ rather than ‘try to … ‘

Another pet hate is using a singular subject but a plural pronoun (e.g. ‘See your advisor (sing) & they’ll (plural) be able to…’). Gender-aligned singular pronouns (he or she) are awkward to apply to a gender-neutral subject. But that’s no excuse!

A few other common issues include:

• Capitalisation for emphasis & over-use of proper nouns (the effect is very grandiose but it doesn’t help readability)
  • Non-parallel punctuation of bullet lists (all points should follow same grammatical structure)
  • Consistent use of spellings, hyphenation & house styles (dashes, etc)
  • Repetition & passive sentence structure.

Content management

There are a lot of common issues when content is entered into templates for publishing too. In print, consistent styles need to be applied & page/paragraph length massaged to fit constraints.

It’s interesting that when preparing an Annual Report or newsletter it’s accepted that writers supply content to a graphic artist who will manage content in the publication. With websites a lot of people still believe if they can paste from Word, they can publish.

In truth, they often need protection from themselves. Here’s where that approach regularly falls down:

• Failure to use image alt tags
  • Failure to understand accessibility compliance (misuse of tables, moving text, or failure to supply alternatives to inaccessible multimedia)
  • No meta tags (or poor, duplicate content used)
  • Poor page titles (too long, not keyword focused)
  • Text pasted from Word (with default font & margin & numerous other HTML tags included accidentally)
  • Incorrect linking paths (attempting to link to network drives or local machines or simply not using http:// in their links)
  • Failure to follow file naming protocols (creating mess & sub-optimal SEO). Includes page titles over 30 characters that are too long to be supported
  • Using big fonts instead of nested headings
  • No cross linking or wrong cross linking (e.g. using trailing slash at end of URL, causing duplicate pages, or using inappropriate anchor text)
  • Renaming files without thought to breaking existing links
  • Creating pages with nothing on them, resulting in a deep site structure
  • Uploading monster images of several MB & limiting display size in HTML, creating long page load times & pixelated results.

The worst

Of course, these are all minor issues. A lot of web content management involves, not majoring in minors but ensuring details are taken care of so little problems don’t start to entangle a site.

The worst crime of all, is failing to ensure an adequate sign-off process is in place – no matter what format you publish in. If it’s print, ensure you use a good editor, proofreader or ideally both.

If it’s web, make sure an experienced content manager is involved.

Advertisements

About dalway

Damian Alway has over a decade of experience in print & online publishing. He’s managed several large websites across government, not-for-profit & commercial sectors, worked as a production editor in a print environment & as a freelance publishing services consultant.

Discussion

11 thoughts on “Crimes against content

1. Have you ever considered creating an ebook or guest authoring on
    other websites? I have a blog based upon on the same information you
    discuss and would love to have you share some
    stories/information. I know my subscribers would
    value your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e-mail.

Posted by Twila | November 20, 2012, 11:12 pm
  2. Thanks. Lovely idea, but I struggle to find time to even post on my own blog at the moment!

Posted by dalway | December 1, 2012, 2:28 pm
  3. Exceptional post however I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this
    subject? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Bless you!

Posted by Genia | December 1, 2012, 2:30 pm
  4. I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty
    penny? I’m not very web smart so I’m not 100% positive. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Posted by Paleo Bread | December 12, 2012, 3:23 am
  5. The other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole
    my apple ipad and tested to see if it can survive a
    25 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation.
    My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this is completely off
    topic but I had to share it with someone!

Posted by herocopia.com | December 13, 2012, 9:57 pm
  6. Hello! This post could not be written any better!
    Reading through this post reminds me of my old room mate!
    He always kept talking about this. I will forward this page to him.
    Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

Posted by bestnitricoxidesupplement.net | December 14, 2012, 12:31 pm
  7. I am really loving the theme/design of your site.
    Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues?

A small number of my blog visitors have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox.
    Do you have any suggestions to help fix this issue?

Posted by poputie.ru | December 15, 2012, 3:22 am
  8. Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this website. It’s simple, yet effective.
    A lot of times it’s challenging to get that “perfect balance” between usability and visual appeal. I must say you’ve done a great job with
    this. Also, the blog loads very quick for me on Firefox.
    Outstanding Blog!

Posted by Sherri | December 15, 2012, 9:51 am
  9. I enjoy what you guys are up too. This type of clever work and exposure!
    Keep up the terrific works guys I’ve you guys to blogroll.

Posted by best fishing kayak | December 15, 2012, 9:52 am
  10. Thank you for every other excellent article.

Where else may anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way
    of writing? I have a presentation next week,
    and I’m on the search for such info.

Posted by Ashton | January 3, 2013, 3:10 pm
  11. Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you, However I am encountering
    difficulties with your RSS. I don’t know why I am unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone else having the same RSS problems? Anyone who knows the answer can you kindly respond? Thanks!!

Posted by bring the casino home | January 24, 2013, 7:20 am